I. Example of Modern Day Opera
a. Soap Operas
- I may be extremely wrong, because I am totally guessing, but I think soap operas would be an example of a modern day opera, although they are not singing. Simply, the drama and stories they hold relate to concepts of opera. In addition, when they make things more dramatic and suspenseful during soap operas they usually have a cadence where everyone is silent as they take in the "surprising news" or something. Furthermore, although it is explained as an unusually long melody like with a solo and I would associate it with the part when they slowly zoom in on a person's reaction until it is uncomfortable to watch during a soap opera. Overall, I think this is a modern day opera, excluding the singing, because of the relations it has and also soap opera has the word "opera" in it.
b. (revision) Broadway Musicals
- Well to begin with I didn't know what the word "edifying" meant so I looked it up and according to the Google, it means "providing moral or intellectual instructions." So in my opinion, I would have to say in today's time period that Broadway musicals would be more of a edifying form of entertainment because majority of the people prefer to watch that instead of operas. People tend to zone out after a while of constant singing, even though they are either recitatives and arias, in operas.On the other hand, Broadway musicals include dialogue and it will grab the audience's attention the entire time because it is constantly different. They use more variations of forms, whether it being recitatives, plainly speaking, or arias. I guess back in the earlier time periods it would be more influential because operas were a big deal but now it is not, therefore it won't have much of an influence.
Good comparison, Leanne. Don't forget to complete the question that you find on the planbook!
ReplyDeleteName a modern day form of entertainment that comes as close as you can think to fulfilling the societal function of an opera. Do you believe that an opera is a more edifying form of entertainment than the modern day example you came up with? Why or why not? Give an in-depth answer and discuss several composing techniques using academic language.
ReplyDelete